Communication Skills

During the month of September our kindergarten through fifth grade students learned and reviewed good listening skills, I statements, and general I Care Rules.

Listening skills we are practicing include:
   * Squaring up to the person before listening - usually arm's length apart
   * Give eye contact and your ears for listening
    *Respond to the speaker by:
        ^ using head movement
        ^ mirror feeling being expressed on your face
        ^ give short comments about the information you have just heard.

 I Statement - Use your words!
Say the person's name to gain their attention
State the situation - "I like it when..."  "I don't like it when..."
State how you feel
Offer a Solution to the situation.
     example of an I Statement:  "Mom, I like our special time together.  It makes me feel good.  Can we spend more time together tonight?"

Our focus for I statements or using our words is to learn how to speak up respectfully in response to a matter that is important to us.

I Care Rules:
1.  We listen to each other.
2.  Hands are for helping, not hurting.
3.  We use I Care Language.
4.  We care about each other's feelings.
5.  We are responsible for what we say and do.

Popular posts from this blog

Listen

City of Sunset Hills Communinty Center Resource

Derek Redmond's Incredible Olympic Story - Injury Mid-Race | Barcelona 1...